Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ramaria (Ramaria sp)

Although mushrooms don't go under the strict identification of flora I believe firmly that they have strong bounds with our surroundings and they are really interesting and beautiful therefore I will include them in my blog pages.


I had huge difficulties to find the exact species of that mushroom so it will have to go under it's genus name: Ramaria sp. (Gomphacea family), so if anyone has any suggestions to make they are more than welcome to do so. I am under the vague impression that it could be R. aurea or R. formosa but it is difficult to tell from a picture. Their name is derived from the Latin ramus meaning branch and they have a coralloid or sponge shape. The genus includes several edible species as well as some mild poisonous ones. I saw this one in a forest near Arta (Epirus).


No comments: